Popular Post

Pic Series Of The Day: Jon Whitney shoots Kyle Pinsonneault



I was first introduced to photographer Jon Whitney a couple of years ago when I was researching a profile on actor Brandon Ruckdashel. I was introduced to the work of model Kyle Pinsonneault earlier this year. I have showcased Jon's work many times on FH and profiled Kyle this past April. Recently, these two favorites worked together and I am thrilled to be able to share the results.

The Photographer: Jon Whitney
It was interesting while putting this post together to discover how both Jon and Kyle seem to be on a similar journey. Both are in the middle of making big changes in the professional lives. Change is not easy, but the results, when successful, are usually worth all of the work. Jon is currently totally revamping his portfolio. When I asked Jon about the changes he told me that although he appreciates fashion, he also loves the human form. Jon sees that many of his contemporaries are having a lot of success shooting fine art and creating beautiful books in the process. Jon says that it was time he tried his hand at it. Jon wants to dabble in all genres of photography



'Something new and fresh and not the same ole. same ole which I tend to do for the sake of comfort. I still love portraiture but I am ready to start taking risks which is the only way to find out what you are capable of.'
Jon Whitney

Many of the photographers featured on FH have what I would call a 'signature shot'. Doing the blog for so long now I can often guess the photographer with a quick glance at an image. Although Jon has shot many of my favorite photos (Search the blog for his incredible shots with Santiago Peralta, Phil Fusco, Kyle Ledeboer and more) I asked Jon about the pros and cons of having a signature shot and if he felt he had one.

'I think a signature look can be a good thing just as long as you continue to evolve. One of my favorites is Rick Day because you immediately recognize his style, however, when he puts up a fashion shot you think WOW! that's unique and so different from what you generally see in his fine art work which is always incredible. My look/style tends to be very clean and simple since that is what the agencies want for the models port. But I want to keep experimenting with different concepts.'

I am not sure if it a style, but when I see the work of Jon Whitney I see an artist using his skills and doing his best to make his subject look their best. It is not about it being his shot, it is about it being the shot.



The Model: Kyle Pinsonneault
There was something about Kyle Pinsonneault that stood out to me the first time I saw his work. In some ways he does not look like the typical model and that is exactly why I liked him. The camera loves him and there is a decency that comes through in his work, it is in his eyes, that I really like. I profiled Kyle back in April and encourage you to check out that post HERE: Many models come across as distant or inaccessible, I guess that is the the goal sometimes. Kyle however has an 'everyman' quality about him that relatable, he is someone you might know.

Jon Whitney says:
'Kyle is every photographers dream model, not only is he physically attractive but he is extremely bright and very confident and he is comfortable in his own skin which is pretty impressive for his young age.'

Both Jon and I agree that Kyle also reminds us of a better looking version of a certain Gossip Girl actor. If the producers are looking to bring in a younger brother for Dan, Kyle Pinsonneault is your man!



Kyle is also in the middle of professional changes. He too has been working hard the last couple of months changing up his portfolio. I was a fan of Kyles earlier work, but his new work, including this shoot with Jon, shows a more mature, sexier and edgier Kyle which I think will open up the work he is considered for. Another big change in Kyles life includes heading to Europe to work for the summer. The runways of Milan are a long way from Chatham, Ontario. You can see more of Kyle's work at his Model Mayhem page HERE:



Since the journey of Jon Whitney and Kyle Pinsonneault led to this shoot I would say they are off to a successful start! I am excited to see what changes there are in store in Jon's upcoming work. Jon says we can look forward to more much with great pics forthcoming since he am testing as much as possible these days. Jon is also thinking of starting his own blog and when he does I will be sure to let you know. In the meantime you can check out his Model Mayhem page HERE:

Thanks so much Jon for sharing your work with Kyle with FH!
Tye